Tuesday, May 08, 2012

puzzled- nest box

As i mentioned earlier in my previous blog post, the nest box was occupied by a sparrow pair and it was in the nesting cycle.

For the past 15 days, I could see lot of activity in the nest box. Last week I was away and my house was locked.

Yesterday when i returned back, I was shocked and surprised !!!!... as the nest box was in complete disarry, the twigs and tweets were spread around and unusual sized feathers were found inside the nest, (definately a sparrow cannot hold such a big feathers). It looked like a war zone around the nest box.

I don't have any clue what had happened?

I persume, some other bird, a much larger bird, might have trying to occupy the sparrow nest box by force, using brutal force, see the pic.. threads and twigs hanging out of the nesting hole.!!!


I am observing for the past two days and could not find any birds movement around the nest box, however, today  morning, I could see a "myna" near the balcony. Is he the culprit?
on the other hand, I could see the regular sparrows around the nest box area in my balcony, but it has come for other purpose, and it is not going into the nest, It came just for bird feeder; they had its grains, water and just flew away.
I am still wondering what could have happened to the sparrow nest..why the sparrows are not going into its nest?  which bird is trying to forcefully occupy the sparrow nest? No Answers till now.

Anyhow, the developments are interesting, Just in a few days, we will come to know.. till then.. it is  suspense-thriller !!!!!

No comments: