Saturday, May 04, 2013

Nature's wrath- an practical experience

This week I had been to Palakkad,  Kerala. ( April 29 to May 2).  Everytime I used to visit our family deity temple at Chittalancherry - around 60 kms away - towards Trichur NH way. The entire route is a delight to sight as the landscape is bestowed with Natural beauty. Rich greenery, green paddy fields, flowing rivers, lakes, ponds and small hilllocks and water bodies. I used to cherish and enjoy travelling through the route owing to its natural beauty.
But this year, I was disappointed - It was complete dry, and there is no greenery and the paddy fields are brownish and soil is cracked... with parched lands... I cannot believe that I was in Gods own Country.. The water level in the wells are rock bottom and otherwise water bodies are completely dry... It appears this part is really facing the drought like situation- moreover, during my previous visits during this period - April - May - school vacation period, I used to enjoy the kerala- evening rains and thunderstorm. I remember in my childhood days, during this period, it used to rain the the afternoon / evening almost daily with thunderstorm. Some days the rain starts in the evening, and it keep on pouring till next day morning. All the water bodies, temple tanks- will fill to the brink and the next day the whole place looks like waterwashed, fresh and clean. But this year - on the above four days, I witnessed teribble hot, humid, sultry conditions, it gave a feeling like i was in a desert. Felt, Very uncomfortable, sweating and tired. I realised that due to man's greed, he plundered the nature and now it is the turn of nature to take revenge. Atleast we should realise it is not too late to check the degradation, by taking massive efforts such as afforestation, rain water harvesting, preserving nature. I had taken some pictures on the way from my mobile and posting here for your perusal.

This time the talk of the town in palakkad is when will it rain as this region not witnessed rain as usual. However on 30th April, evening, T.Clouds developed on the way to chitalancherry, however it soon dissipated without rain..


I remember, this river used to be full in normal days, but this time it is almost dry...


The agricultural paddy fields used to be a treat to eyes.. green and fertile.. but this year it is parched, dry and brown..

Looking for rains.. clouds drifted away...Hoping for a plentiful and bountiful monsoon this year 2013 to save this part.

No comments: