Monday, November 28, 2016

Our friendly Squirrels...

When I was young, I used to enjoy watching joyful Squirrels around in Chennai.. 

Some sneak into homes and make nests and would starts breeding, to our surprise all of a sudden we could see little Squirrels lost its way and comes to the halls searching for its way to its nest... 

We could hear the loud alarm cry that sounds like "chip chip chip" by its mother... and we used to help the little one to unite with its mother.. Out of our curiosity and enthusisam we used to try to feed it but in vain... 

This kind of experience you might also have been faced.

I stay in  Marathahalli, Bangalore, When I came there around two years back, I could rarely find Squirrels.. 





Just adjacent to our apartments, there is a vacant plot, sort of mini-juncle with full of eucalyptus trees... I initially wonder where all those squirrels gone??? 


I could spot birds of prey, rodents, giant rats, pigeons, Snakes in that mini-jungle. 

However, around one year back, I could hear the sweet sound of Squirrels, and could spot few around in the fence and wall, and gradually it started coming to our apartments and will run around the balcony...

I started feeding the Squirrels by placing nuts, fruits in the fencing wall and the they also readily accepted the feed.. Normally, I used to feed them in the early hours 6.30 to 7.00 am and I could sense that thay are awaiting for my feed... Over a period of time, I could see, many squirrels in the mini-jungle and now we could happly hear the loud chip-chip-chip sounds in the morning, as a wake-up alarm call...  








I was happy that some way or other involved in nature and conservation of this little species!!!

No comments: