Saturday, November 12, 2011

pigeon surprise!!!

10th Nov 2011,

Pigeon laid eggs even without nest in the waterhole !!!!


I had arranged waterhole for birds, particularly pigeons in the balcony of our home.

During summer months many pigeons used to frequent this to quench their thirst. Some pigeons even used to  have small shower in the waterhole.

I used to refill the mud vessel for every alternate days or once in two days. But for the past two days, i did not refill the vessel as this is start of the winter,  and to my surprise, I found a pigeon sitting in the vessel in the evening.

I went near and checked the pot.. oh.. my God, to my surprise, I found.....!!!!


oh.. A beautiful white egg in it!!!  Another egg was broken and laid nearby. I was surprised because, how come the pegions lay their eggs without any nest?  I was under dilemma whether to allow the pigeon to continue its nesting or not?  I could observe that pigeons lays their eggs even without building the nests, if they could find convenient place to hatch. The next day, after laying the eggs, i could see the mother & father pigeons brought some twigs and feathers to make a temporary nest?

Anyhow this was quite strange, Isn't?

No comments: